Boondhi ladoo is one of the famous traditional sweets made on various occasions like wedding, baby shower and also during festrivals like Diwali. This sweet is very close to my heart and there is a reason behind it. This is one particular sweet which we make together for Diwali. We make around 150 ladoos to distribute and every single person person in my family involve in the making process. So before my wedding evrey Diwali is a big festival and enjoyed the actual fun. Many people say, why do we need to strain ourselves when we can place an order for the sweets and savouries. I smile and tell myself that the actual fun is making the sweets and savouries together with the family. We chit chat, make fun and I miss those days. I made this ladoo to celebrate the graduation ceremony of my younger brother. Yes, he is a Doctorate now. And I am happy to share with you all. Now let’s see how to make this recipe.
Besan flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 tsp
Salt – a pinch
Water – To make batter
To make sugar syrup
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – To dissolve the sugar
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Cloves – few
Rock candy – few
Cashews – few
Raisins – few
- Take a bowl and add the mentioned quantity of rice flour and besan flour into it.
- Add a pinch of salt and add water little by little to make it to a dosai batter consistency.
- The batter to make boondhi is ready. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadai and once the right temperature is reached, make boondhi.
- If the boondhi is flat, then the batter is thin, if they form a tail, then the batter is thick. So adjust the consistency by add ing the besan flour or water as required.
- Once you get the perfect round shaped boondhi, continue with the remaining batter.
- To make boondhi, take a perforated ladle and place it above the oil at the right height. Donot keep very below or too above.
- Take a batter in a small ladle and add it on the perforated ladle. Gently spread it lightly with the small ladle. The boondhis will fall on the oil and deep fry it.
- Now and then stir it and once the sizzling sound stops, remove it from the oil.
- Drain it on a tissue paper and allow to cool.
Preparing Sugar syrup
- Take a pan and add 3/4 th cup of sugar into it. Keep the remaining 1/4 th cup of sugar aside and use it later.
- Add water and dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar syrup starts to boil, add food colour, cardamom powder, cloves and crushed rock candy.
- Mix it well. Allow the sugar syrup to form one string consistency.
- At this stage turn off the flame and keep the sugar syrup aside.
Making of ladoos
- Transfer the fried boondhis into the sugar syrup and mix well.
- Fry the cashews till golden brown and raisins until it bulges. Mix it with sugar syrup.
- At this stage, take the remaining 1/4th cup of sugar and mix it with little water. Pour it into the pan with boondhi mixture.
- Mash it with the masher and mix well.
- Start making ladoos by taking little quantity of boondhi in hands. I have shown you in video detailly. Pl watch it to make yourself more clear.
- Yummy ladoos are ready and allow it to dry on a tray. After a day, transfer it to a container.