Arisi thengai payasam is a traditional payasam made in Brahmin houses. It is one of my favourite payasams made at home. Arisi thengai payasam is called as Rice coconut pudding in english. It is made with rice, coconut and jaggery. This is easy to make and can be made in no time. We offer it to god as prasadh or neivedhyam on many occasions or festivals like tamil new year, sarawathy poojai etc., It can be had hot or cold.
Raw rice – 2 tsp
Shreddded coconut – 1/2 cup
Cardamom – 3
Water – To grind
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – As required
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cashews – few
Raisins – few
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes.
- Then grind the coconut, cardamom, rice. Add little water and grind it to a fine paste.
- Take a pan and add ghee. Add cashews and fry untill it starts to turn brown. At this stage add the raisins and fry.
- Now add the ground coconut rice paste and add water to adjust the consistency.
- Allow it to boil like a porridge.
- Then add the jaggery and cook it in medium flame. If the jaager you use is less sweet then you can add 3/4 cup of the jaggery instead of 1/2 cup of jaggery.
- Cook for sometime and turn off the flame. Arisi thengai payasm is ready to serve.