Thengai varuthu kottina porichuzhambu
Thengai varuthu kottina porichozhambu is one of my favourite South Indian gravies. This is one of the Kerala recipes. You can make this recipe with plantain, potato, yam, cowpeas, chick peas. The combination is Plantain-cowpeas, Plantain – Chick peas, Yam- chick peas, Plantain-potato-cowpeas. This recipe is not made in a regular basis but once this is made, there is no left over. Mix it with hot rice and have it with papad.
Vaazhakkai(Plantain) – 1/2
Black Channa – 1 cup
Salt – As required
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Pepper – 1 tsp
Red chilli – 1
Coconut – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Curry leaves – few
- Soak the chickpeas in water for 6-8 hours/overnight.
- Cut the plantain into small cubes.
- Next day drain the water and pressure cook the plantain and cowpeas with little water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Grind pepper, red chilly, grated coconut with little water and keep aside.
- Finally in another kadai/pan add 2 tsp coconut oil, and splutter mustard seeds, channa dhal, urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Once they crack, add the grated coconut and fry until they turn golden brown or until you feel the smell of the coconut.
- In a kadai, add the pressure cooked vegetables. To thuis add the ground masala. Allow it to cook. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Put these fried items in the vegetable mixture.
- Mix well and cook for five minutes.
- Serve it with hot rice and papadam.
This is such a tempting curry Niranjana. Loaded with coconut and using brown chickpeas and plantain, it definitely is different from the way I prepare brown chickpea curry. Will have to give thengai varuthu kottina porichuzhambu a try.
Thank you aunty
Mmm I can imagine the aroma of the curry! Such a yum curry with chickpeas and plantains. Will definitely make thengai varuthu Kottina porichuzhamu a try. We will enjoy it.
Thank you Archana
both vazhakkai and kala channa are family favoruties. Cant wait to try this kerala style curry..
Thank you kalyani
Thengai varuthu kottina porichuzhambu Looks scrumptious. Love this flavourful and delicious curry. Can’t wait to try this.
Thank you Preethi…
An interesting curry from kerala cuisine niranjana !!
The use of coconut, brown chickpeas and plantain are looking awesome in this curry. Definitely a flavorful brown chickpea curry, I would love to give it a try !
Thank you so much Sasmita..