Dum aloo is one of my favourite North Indian gravies. There are so many versions of Dum aloo. This is the restaurant style rich, creamy Dum aloo that tastes exactly like the restaurant one. Once you have made the white gravy base and red gravy base then it is very easy to make this gravy.
Baby potatoes- 1/2 kg
Ghee – 1 tbsp
White gravy-1/2 cup
Red gravy- 1/2 cup
Onion- 1/2 cup
Tomatoes- 1/2 cup
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Butter- 1 tbsp
Fresh cream – 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
- Take half kilogram of baby potatoes and pressure cook them. Cool them well and peel the skin.
- Prick the baby potatoes with fork so that they can absorb the spices and the gravy well.
- If baby potatoes are not available you can also use normal potatoes but you have to chop them into big chunks.
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel and add ghee. Add chopped onions and saute them until they turn transparent.
- Once onions are cooked, add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add the cooked baby potatoes into the pan and mix everything together well.
- At this stage we can add all the spice powders like red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt, Sugar.
- Saute them well until the spices get coated with the potatoes.
- Then we can add red gravy base and white gravy base into the pan. Mix everything together. You can add little quantity of water if required to adjust the consistency.
- Then add butter and fresh cream. Cook for five minutes and turn off the stove.
- Finally garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with any of your favourite Indian breads.