Orange skin kuzhambu
Almost everyone of us like to eat oranges because of its sweetness and the appealing colour. But we tend to throw away the skin and enjoy the inner stuff. Actually there are many nutrients in the skin. They are rich in vitamin C, fiber and the pigment helps in vision. So here is one recipe made out of orange skin with its citrus flavour. Since this is Orange season I bought some. After eating the tasty fruit, I wanted to make my favourite gravy with its peel/skin. This goes well with upma, pongal, dosai etc.,
Orange skin- from two oranges.
Tamarind- Lemon size
Red Chilli – 2
Green Chilli – 2
Rasam powder- 2tsp
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Toor dhal- 1 tsp
Gingelley oil- As required
- Take the peeled orange skin and cut it into small pieces.
- Take the tamarind, add water (Almost a cup), boil it and extract the juice.
- Heat the pan and add oil. Now add the mustard. Once it sputters, add the toor dhal, urad dhal, channa dhal. Saute it until it turns golden brown.
- Add red chillies and green chillies. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add the orange skin and saute it for one to two minutes.
- Add tamarind extract, turmeric powder, rasam powder, jaggery, salt and mix well.
- Allow it to boil until you get the right consistency. It should not be too thick or too watery.
- It goes very well with rice, Dosa, Pongal .
Note: If you find it too watery, add 1 tsp of rice flour into it and mix well without forming any lumps.
You can also use green chillies if you like its flavour.