Maa inji- pachai milagu oorugai / mango-ginger pepper pickle
Mango Ginger is a family of ginger or turmeric. This is available in certain seasons only. This looks like normal ginger but it smells like raw mango. Some call it as white ginger. This has the best medicinal value and is very good for digestion. Unripe pepper is plucked fresh from the plant before it ripens. I learnt this recipe from my periamma(Mom’s sister).
Mango ginger- 1 cup(peeled and sliced)
Fresh unripe pepper- 1 big cup
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
Salt- As preservative
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Wash the unripe pepper and cut into one inch length.
- Wash the mango ginger, peel off the skin,and slice it like a disc.
- Boil ample of water to immerse the mango-ginger and green-pepper.
- Add salt and turmeric in the water.
- Keep the boiled water aside until becomes Luke warm.
- Now add the mango-ginger and unripe-pepper into it.
- After it gets cooled, store it in a air-tight container.
- It goes well with Curd rice.
- Since it is the pickle made without oil, it is good for health.
For how long will this pickle last without refrigeration?
Well, I make this pickle during nov – dec and use it within two months. If you want to increase the shelf life and want to avoid the pepper turning black, I crease rhe quantity of lemon juice to 1/4 cup. That will help.