Arasanikkai kootu (Sweet pumpkin gravy)
Arasanikkai kootu is a dish made with sweet pumpkin, coconut and green chillies. It is less aqueous than sambar but more so dry than curry. The sweetness of the pumpkin and the hotness of the green chilli gives an unique flavour.
Sweet pumpkin – 1/4
Coconut – 1/2
Green chillies – 2
Turmric powder – A pinch
Jaggery – A small piece
Salt – As required
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Remove the skin and chop the pumpkin into cubes.
- Grate the coconut.
- Pressure cook the pumpkin with salt, jaggery and turmeric powder.
- Then mash the pumpkin here and there, leaving some pieces whole.
- Now grind the coconut and green chillies with little water.
- Mix his with the pumpkin.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. once they crack, add urad dhan and saute until they turn brown.
- Add the pumpkin coconut mixture into kadai and bring it to boil.
- Serve it with hot rice or as an accompaniment for Sambar sadam or rasam sadham.