Rava Idli is one of my favourite tiffin item. Including me I have seen many people who hate to eat idli. But Rava Idli is an exception. It is very tasty, spongy and most of the people likes it. You can also add baking soda or ENO to make it spongy. I made it without adding those and yet the idlis came out good. It goes well with tomato chutney .
Ravai – 1 cup
Thick curd – 1/2 cup
Carrot – 1
Finely chopped Coriander leaves – few
Finely chopped green chillies – 4
Hing – A pinch
Salt – As required
Water – As required
Oil – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa – Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Split urad Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Heat a pan and add rava, dry roast it for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the dry roasted rava in a mixing bowl or vessel.
- Now add oil to the pan and splutter mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to crack, add spilt urad dal, channa dal and fry till they turn golden brown color. Then add curry leaves and fry for 2 seconds.
- Add these mixture and chopped coriander to the mixing bowl and mix with the ravai.
- Grate the carrot and add it to the ravai mixture.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency to idli batter by adding water.Keep it aside covered for 10 minutes.
- Grease the idli plates and fill in the batter in each idli hole and steam cook for 20 minutes
- The rava idli is ready to serve. It goes best with kaara chutney or Tomato pickle.