Asafoetida is a pungent smell spice, which is included in most of the Indian dishes. This is one of the spices that is there in almot everyone’s kitchen shelf. It helps to overcome gas and indigestion problem. However most of us use the store bought asafoetida. It has some artificial flavours, colours. However we can buy the original asafoetida and can make the powder easily at home. It has original flavour. When we went to Ooty, we bought the asafoetida cubes in large quantities. And we made the powder at home. Though this is very easy to make, there is a small technique in making this powder. Also it is a very different one and I thought of posting it.
Asafoetida – 100 gms
- The store bought asafoetida cubes looks like a small brown cubes.
- Break it with mortar and pestle. This helps to saute them easily.
- Heat the pan, add the broken asafoetida cubes.
- Saute them until they turn from brown to yellow colour.
- Turn off the stove. Allow them to cool.
- Grind them to a fine powder.
- Store it in an air-tight container.