Baking bread and cakes using multigrain flour and whole wheat is always a healthier option than using plain flour/ All purpose flour. This is my first experiment with wheat flour. I got to know about the applesauce from my Sister-in-law.
Applesauce takes the place of oil and butter in this banana bread recipe. I am very careful saying this because this isn’t a universal rule in the baking world. It requires testing. Oftentimes when applesauce is subbed for butter, you’re left with a very mediocre baked good. Some recipes just cannot be made without fat. But banana bread is not one of them. In fact, applesauce is a wonderful, healthier ingredient you can work onto a lot of breads and muffins. Again, some testing is often needed before you land on the perfect combination of ingredients.
I made this and gave it to my uncle’s family. They liked it and said that they haven’t tasted a bread like this. Yes!!! you can feel the aroma of banana while baking and its taste while eating it. Make this and surprise your family.
Ripe Bananas – 4
Whole wheat flour – 1.5 cups
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Sugar/Cane sugar – 1/2 cup
Salt- A pinch
Vanilla essence – 2 drops
Tuti-fruiti/Walnut – few
Applesauce – made with 3 apples
Apple – 3
Honey – 1 tsp
Lemon juice- A drop
- Wash and peel the skin of the apples.(I didn’t peel the skin, since it is healthy).
- Pressure cook the apples or just cook it in an open pan until it is mushy.
- Mash it well or grind it to a fine paste. Add honey and lime juice.
- Apple sauce is ready to use.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius. Heat both the top and bottom elements.
- Wash, peel and cut the bananas. Grind them it to a fine paste with sugar. Transfer them to a bowl.
- Add applesauce, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla essence and give a quick mix.
- Now add the sifted wheat flour and mix well without any lumps.
- Add the tuti-fruti or chopped walnuts into them. Mix well.
- Grease the bread pan and add the bread batter into it. usually while baking normal bread, we fill only half of the bread pan. But here you can almost fill the pan.
- Now bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 45 minutes. The timing varies from oven to oven. Insert a toothpick and check if it comes out clean. This will help you to know if it is baked or not.
- After baking, cut it into slices and serve with tea or coffee.