Calzone is an Italian oven baked folded pizza. The stuffing is placed inside the dough and is baked. The vegetarian version has bell peppers, cheese and corn in it. But you can use any filling of your choice. It can be eaten for a relaxed weekend dinner or even as an evening snack. I made this at home and gave it to my neighbour. She just loved it and said it is super yummy. Yes I too loved it…
All Purpose Flour – 250gms
Sugar – 10 gms
Salt – 5 gms
Dry yeast – 1/4 tsp
Milk powder – 1 tsp
Gluten – 1/2 tbsp
Bread Improver – 2 1/2 tsp
Water – 130 ml
Oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 4 flakes
Onion – 1/4 cup
Tomato Puree – 1/2 Pkt
Capsicum- 2 tbsp
Corn- 1/2 cup
Herbs – 1/2 tsp
Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
Pepper – 1/8 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Mozarella Cheese – As req
- Add All purpose flour, salt, milk powder, bread improver, gluten and mix well.
- Add the yeast in warm water and mix well. Also add sugar and dissolve it well.
- Mix the yeast mixture with rest of the ingredients and knead it well into a smooth dough. The dough will be elastic.
- If the dough is wet, sprinkle some flour and knead it well.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough in it, cover it with a cloth and place it in a warm place.
- Allow it to stand for 30 minutes or until the dough doubled in volume. When you punch the dough, you can feel the air releasing.
- Heat oil in a pan and add minced garlic. Saute it in low flame until you get the aroma.
- Now add onion, herbs, chilli flakes, tomato puree, salt and sugar.
- Add finely chopped capsicum, corn and mix well.
- Saute until it thickens. Turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Allow it to cool.
- Roll out the dough into small disc.
- Put the masala in one end and place the grated cheese on it.
- Fold it with other end and press the edges well with the fork. So that the filling doesnot come out. Brush the calzones with butter on the top.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 deg Celsius for 10 minutes. Then arrange the calzones on the greased tray and bake it at 140 degree celsius for 30 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.