Dhal Makhani is one of the recipes I came to know from my brother. When he was studying in IIT, he used to have this regularly. But I had no idea about the ingredients used in this recipe. Later when I was reading a magazine, came across this recipe and found this to be an easy and healthy one. Yes!!! It includes black urad dhal which I had not used before in cooking. Finally this recipe occupied a space in our dining.
Black Urad dhal – 3/4 cup
Rajma – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1
Tomatoes – 3
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Butter/Ghee – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Clove – 4
Cardamom – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Wash and soak the black urad dhal and rajma overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Pressure cook it with 2 cups of water and salt. Whisk well till it is almost a pulp.
- Heat the butter/ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and saute for two minutes.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste, saute until the raw smell goes off. Then add chopped onion and saute till they turn golden brown.
- Finally add the tomato puree(blanch and blend the tomatoes). To this add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Finally add the dhal mixture, water and simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander and serve with roti.