Did you know that April is National Garlic Month? Yes, the entire month of April is dedicated to garlic, a plant well deserving of the honor. April is National Garlic Month (Garlic Day is April 19) and we’re celebrating with a few garlic fun facts. I came to Garlic is the strongest flavoured and most assertive member of the family. It is the popular ingredient in almost all of the cuisines owing to its strong aroma and flavour. It is known for its health benefits.
- The superfood is loaded with anti-oxidants that are believed to zap cancer causing free radicals as well as with Vitamin C & B6 and manganese that are essential for body functions. Once cooked, it lends its flavour to just about any main dish, side dish, soup or sauce and pairs wonderfully with tomato, onion and ginger.
- It promotes the well-being of the heart and immune systems with antioxidant properties and helps maintain healthy blood circulation. One of garlic’s greatest health benefits includes the ability to enhance the body’s immune cell activity
- Garlic was once believed to fight off acne, warts, toothaches and evil spirits.
- If your rose garden is being attacked by aphids or plant lice spritz the leaves and blooms with a mixture of crushed garlic and water.
Garlic and its pungent smell
- Its pungent flavor is caused by a chemical reaction that occurs when the garlic cells are broken. The flavor is most intense just after mincing. The smell can be removed from your hands by running them under cold water while rubbing a stainless steel object.
- The psychological term for fear of garlic is alliumphobia.
- Drinking lemon juice or eating a few slices of lemon will stop bad garlic breath.