Falafel is a middle eastern recipe. It is a deep-fried ball made from chick peas. I used cooking plantain instead of chickpeas. This recipe was started as a mistake. I was about to make vaazhakaai podimas. When I pressure cooked it, it was over cooked. So I neither want to continue with the same recipe nor want to waste it. I want to make something different out of it. Once I have heard my brother saying about falafel. It was in this way, this recipe was made at home.
Cooking plantain – 2 Nos
Besan flour – 2 tbsp
Rice flour – 2 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp(optional)
Salt- To taste
Sooji – To coat the balls
- Cut the plantain into half and pressure cook it.
- Now remove the skin and mash it well in a bowl.
- Add besan flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt, garam masala powder into it.
- Mix all the ingredients together with a ladle.
- Now make the mixture into small balls about the size of a ping-pong ball and place it on a plate.
- Coat it with sooji and keep aside.
- In a [pan add cooking oil and turn on the stove.
- Deep fry the balls in medium flame until they turn golden brown.
- Serve it hot with ketchup or tomato sauce.
Note: You can also add cilantro, cumin seeds along with this.