Rava kichadi is a modified version of our regular upma. Along with sooji or rava it contains vegetables like carrot,beans, onion and potato. This is one of the recipes that occupies our(myself and my brother’s) tiffin box during our school days. This has a completely different flavour from upma. My friends too like this recipe and some have asked their mom to know the method of making this recipe. This has an appealing colour and it tempts one to eat. Since it contains vegetables, it is also an healthy recipe. It goes best with coconut chutney.
Sooji – 1 cup
Water – 2 1/2 cups
Carrot – 1
Potato – 1
Beans – 6
Onion – 2
Oil – 2 tbsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 2
Salt – As required
Turmeric powder – A pinch
- Measure and roast the sooji in the pan and keep it aside.
- Chop the vegetables into small cubes. Pressure cook it for one or two whistles.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal and urad dhal. When they turn brown, add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Finally add onions and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Add the cooked vegetables and saute for two minutes.
- Add water, salt, turmeric powder and allow it to boil.
- When they start to boil, add sooji and mix without forming any lumps.
- Continuously stir so that they donot stick to the bottom.
- Add coconut oil now and then to add flavour and also to make Kichadi soft.
- Now close the lid and steam it for five minutes.
- Then put the weight and turn off the stove.