China grass is the name used for Agar-agar in India. It is a gelatinous substance obtained from algae. Usually we use in labs as a medium to grow bacteria and to check their motility and mobility. Apart from this it is also used in cooking. It is a natural vegetable gelatin counterpart. they are available as white and translucent or as strips or as powders. They are used to make jellies, puddings and custards.
This is a great recipe for Summer season. It keeps the body cool. It can be used as a laxative and an appetite suppressant. It is a fine source of Iodine, calcium, iron, phosphorous and vitamins. It contains approximately 80% fiber and is a good intestinal regulator.
China grass – 1 pkt
Milk – 900 ml
Water – 100 ml
Vanilla syrup – 2-3 drops
Tutti-frutti – few
- Clean the china grass with water.
- Mix it with water and allow it to boil till it melts.
- Boil milk separately and add it into the china grass.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla syrup and sugar.
- Stir continuously so that they don’t form lumps.
- Pour it into a mould or plates. Garnish with tutti-frutti.
- Refrigerate it until they solidify and serve