Spicy diamond cuts is popularly known as maida mavu (All purpose flour) biscuit in our family. My bro and I like this for its teeny-weeny size, shape and obviously for its taste. My mom and grany makes this diamond cuts(both spicy and sweet) as an evening snack for me and my bro. I learnt this from my mom and grany. It is very easy to make, tasty and a good nibble.
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Salt – As required
Red chilli powder- 4 tsp
Asafoetida – A pinch
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Water- As required
- In a bowl, add the flour and other dry ingredients. Mix them well so that the chilli powder and the salt gets blend with the flour.
- Now make a pith in the center and add the oil and water.
- Mix the flour with the oil and water and knead it to make a dough.
- Donot add too much of water. the dough should be thick.
- Now make small balls and roll it out like a chappathi with the rolling pin.
- With the help of somas spoon cut it into diamonds.
- Separate the sliced diamonds and place it on the rear side of the plate.
- In a pan heat the oil. Add one diamond to check the hotness of the oil.
- Now add the sliced diamonds and fry it till golden brown.Keep turning so that it is cooked evenly.
- Once they are golden in colour and bubble sound ceases, drain it in paper towel.