Samba Sooji – 2 cups
Onion – 1
Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
Water – 4 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Red chillies – 2
Salt – As required
- Measure the samba ravai and water and keep it aside.
- Now add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal and urad dhal. When they turn brown, add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add the onions and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Add water, salt and allow it to boil.
- When they start to boil, add samba ravai and mix without forming any lumps.
- Continusly stir so that they donot stick to the bottom.
- Add shredded coconut and then mix well.
- Finally add the coconut oil to enhance the flavour and also to make upma soft.
- Serve it with sugar or any pickle.
Note: If you are not going to add onion, add asafoetida.