Rasam can be called as South Indian soup. Its literal meaning is the essence of tamarind blended with other aromatic ingredients. It can be served with hot rice. It is watery. there are different varieties of rasam and I am going to give you the recipe for Paruppu rasam.
Tamarind – medium lemon size
Pepper powder – 3 tsp
Turmeric powder- A pinch
Dried Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin seed powder- 1 tsp
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Salt- As required
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Curry leaves- few
- Pressure cook the tamarind with little water or it can be cooked in an open vessel with enough water.
- Mash the tamarind and extract the juice from it.
- In a kadai, add oil, splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the cumin seeds after crushing it in the hand. then add the curry leaves.
- Add the extracted tamarind juice.
- To this add turmeric powder, jaggery, salt, pepper powder,cumin seed powder, coriander powder.
- Allow it to boil.
- You can add some curry leaves at this stage so that their flavour will get blended very well.
- Immediately close the vessel so that the aroma will be retained.
- Serve it with hot rice during winter and rainy days.