Idiyappam/Sevai/String hoppers is a common dish that we make at home. Since it is steam cooked, it is healthy. This can be made in two different ways and served in many ways. This is made with rice and pressed into noodles with murukku maker or sevai naazhi. Myself and my brother are in love with this dish. of course most of the kids likes this recipe.
Boiled rice – 3 cups
Salt – To taste
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the rice in the grinder by sprinkling water into it.
- Grind it to a smooth batter. (This batter can be used to make verumarisi adai/ idiyappam)
- Later take the batter and add water to make it little watery. Add salt.
- Now pour this into the rice pan and steam cook it for 20 minutes.
- Then make the rice cake into four or five parts and put it into the sevai naazhi and press it to make rice noodles.
- Cover it with the damp.
- Take 1 cup of water, add salt, oil and allow it to boil.
- Add 1 cup of rice flour into it and mix well to make the dough.
- When it is warm, insert it into the murukku maker and press it gently.
- Then steam cook it.
- Serve it with coconut milk.
- Splutter it with mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal, red chillies, curry leaves. Mix well and serve with Sambar/Curd.
- You can add a pinch of turmeric powder to the second method of serving and add 1 tsp lemon juice to make lemon sevai.