Kuzhi paniyaaram is made out of idli/dosa batter. if you are bored of making idli and dosai, you can try making this recipe. If you have the idli batter, then it can be prepared in a jiffy. You can make this as a evening snack or can pack this in a tiffin box with cilantro/tomato/kaara chutney.
Idli batter- 4 cups
Corn flour – 3 tbsp
Rice flour – 8 tbsp
Plain flour – 2 tbsp
Cliantro (chopped)- 4 tbsp
Curry leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
Ginger(Chopped)- 2 tsp
Green chillies – 3
Coconut (sliced thinly) – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Salt – As required
Asafoetida – A pinch
- Mix the idli batter with rice flour, corn flour, plain flour without forming any lumps.
- The batter should not be too watery. It should be of thick consistency.
- Now add the chopped cilantro, curry leaves, cumin seeds, ginger, salt, asafoetida and thinly sliced coconut to the batter and mix well.
- The batter is ready to be used.
- Keep the appa kaaral in the stove. If you are going to use the bronze appa kaaral, then you have to add oil every time you pour the batter. But if you are going to use non-stick, it is enough to apply oil once in the beginning.
- Now add the batter in the holes and allow it to cook.
- Gently turn it with a stick to cook the other side.
- Appam will be golden brown in colour.
- You can serve it hot with cilantro chutney or kaara chutney.