This is the first cake I baked at home for my Parent’s 25th Wedding anniversary. Since we are vegetarians, we don’t use eggs and thought of making this egg-less cake. To my surprise, it came out very well. This is the first cake tasted by my grandparents in their life time.
All purpose flour- 1 cup
Sugar- 1/3 cup
Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 3 tbsp
Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil- 1/2 cup
Hot water- 3/4 cup
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/4 tsp
- Grind the sugar into powder.
- Mix all the dry ingredients so that they are evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl mix water and oil till they are blended well.
- Now pour the water+oil mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well . Take care that they should not form clumps.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Now grease the cake pan (Rice pan that comes with cooker will do good) with ghee.
- Meanwhile place another rice pan with 1/4 cup water in the cooker and switch on the stove. They will be pre- heated.
- In the mixture add lemon juice. This will react with baking soda and helps in raising the flour.
- Immediately place the pan on the top of the first pan and close the lid.
- It should be steam cooked so don’t use the weight.
- Bake on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then bake it in low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- Once you have done, open the cooker and insert the toothpick at the center to check whether the cake has been baked well.
- Now allow it to cool for ten minutes and turn it upside down on a plate.
- Your cake is ready and you can cut into pieces and serve.
- It will be yummy.