Ridge gourd or peerkangai is a vegetable with high water content and rich in Vitamin C. It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and high in dietery fibre. I saw this vegetable for the first time after my wedding. But didnt know what to do with it until my mom came to look after me when I was unwell. From that time, I have started using this vegetable regularly in my kitchen. My husband too loves this thogayal a lot and if I forget to make this ,he ll ask himself and I make it.
Ridge gourd- 1
Horsegram- 1 1/2 tbsp
Channa dhal- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- few
Tamarind- A small piece
Green chillies- 2
Coconut pieces- few
Coconut oil- 1 tsp
Salt- To taste
- Wash and peel the skin of ridge gourd.
- Slice them or chop them into bits.
- In a pan, add the chopped ridge gourd and saute them until it is cooked. Keep them aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil. then add horsegram, channa dhal, curry leaves, green chillies, tamarind. Saute them well until the dhal turns golden brown in colour.
- Then add coconut pieces and saute.
- Finally add the ridgegourd and saute for a minute.
- Add them in a mixie jar and add jaggery, salt.
- Grind them to a fine paste. Donot add water to grind. If you add water it will become watery.’
- Serve the thogayal with rice and a tsp of oil. Mix it and eat hot.