Paruppu means dhal and rasam can be called as South Indian soup. Its literal meaning is the essence of tamarind blended with dhal and other aromatic ingredients. It can be served with hot rice. It is watery. The cumin seeds, peppercorn in the rasam has medicinal value and it is always good to eat rasam on a daily basis. I love rasam a lot. There are different varieties of rasam but this is one of the the most common rasam that we make at home. The essence of tomato and tamarind gives it a tangy taste. It is always good to use desi tomatoes for making rasam. My husband hates toeat rasam before our wedding. But now he himself will ask me to make rasam. Now he loves to have rasam+ rice with Potato curry and also as a side dish for Dosai.
Toor dhal – 4tbsp
Rasam powder -1tsp
Turmeric powder- A pinch
Dried Coriander powder – A pinch
Cumin seed powder- A pinch
Curry leaves- few
Coriander leaves- few
Tamarind – medium lemon size Tomato- 2 medium size
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Salt- As required
Asafoetida- A pinch.
- Pressure cook the toor dhal with enough water.
- Also cook the tomatoes in the cooker without water.
- Tamarind can be pressure cooked with little water or it can be cooked in an open vessel with enough water.
- Once the toor dhal has been cooked, mash it well with a potato masher or with your hands itself and keep aside.
- Mash the tamarind and extract the juice from it.
- Take a vessel and add turmeric powder, jaggery, salt, rasam powder. Now add the cooked tomatoes into the vessel and mash it well. Let it boil.
- Now add the tamarind juice to it and allow it to boil.
- You can add half of the curry leaves and coriander leaves at this stage so that their flavour will get blended very well.
- Once they form foam add the mashed toor dhal along with the water. At this stage, you can add cumin seed powder, dried coriander powder, remaining coriander and curry leaves.
- You can add one more cup of water and allow it to cook.
- You will start enjoying the aroma of the rasam at this stage.
- Once they boil and the foam is formed, switch off the stove and add Asafoetida to enhance the aroma. Season it with mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Immediately close the vessel so that the aroma will be retained.