Molagootal is a distinctive Palakkad Iyers’ recipe. It is a combination of vegetables and lentils with coconut. In tamilnadu they make a slightly modified version and call it as a Porichakootu(Which I have not tasted so for). Molagootal can be prepared with any vegetables and Keerai molagootal can be prepared using any of the greens like ara keerai, mola keerai, paruppu keerai, thanda keerai, palak keerai or murunga keerai. Basically I hate eating molagootal. Whenever molagootal is made at home by Amma, I will escape to my aunt or uncle’s house. But this is the only molagootal which I like a lotttt…..It can be served with side dish like Thuvayal, Pachadi, Pickle or gothsu.
Servings – 4
Murungai keerai(Drumstick leaves) – 2 cups
Toor dhal/moong dhal – 1/4 cup
Coconut – half
Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
Red chilli – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Clean the drumstick leaves by removing it from the stem. Roughly chop it with your hands.
- Wash it couple of times in the water to remove the dirt.
- Pressure cook the dhal and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, mash it well and keep aside.
- Grind the coconut, red chilli, cumin seeds with water into a fine paste.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add urad dhal and sauté until they turn golden brown. Also add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- At this stage,add the cooked toor dhal and ground coconut paste. Add some water and allow it to boil.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Once they start to boil, add the drumstick leaves and cook for two to three minutes.
- Donot cook for more time. Else the gravy will taste bitter.
- Healthy murungai keerai molagootal is ready.
- Serve it with rice and pickle.