Paruppu means dhal and rasam can be called as South Indian soup. Its literal meaning is the essence of tamarind blended with dhal and other aromatic ingredients. It can be served with hot rice. It is watery. The cumin seeds, peppercorn in the rasam has medicinal value and it is always good to eat rasam on a daily basis. I love rasam a lot. There are different varieties of rasam but this is one of the the most common rasam that we make at home. The essence of tomato and tamarind gives it a tangy taste. It is always good to use desi tomatoes for making rasam. My husband hates toeat rasam before our wedding. But now he himself will ask me to make rasam. Now he loves to have rasam+ rice with Potato curry and also as a side dish for Dosai.
Toor dhal – 2 tsp
Rasam powder -1. 5 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Dried Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin seed powder- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- few
Coriander leaves- few
Tamarind – medium lemon size
Tomato- 2 medium size
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Salt- As required
Asafoetida- A pinch.
- Pressure cook the toor dhal with enough water.
- Also cook the tomatoes in the cooker without water.
- Tamarind can be pressure cooked with little water or it can be cooked in an open vessel with enough water.
- Once the toor dhal has been cooked, mash it well with a potato masher or with your hands itself and keep aside.
- Mash the tamarind and extract the juice from it.
- Also mash the tomatoes well.
- In a pan, add ghee and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add cumin seeds and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Add the mashed tomatoes and tamarind extract.
- Into this add turmeric powder, jaggery, salt, rasam powder, cumin seed powder, dried coriander powder, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Allow it to cook well.
- You can add one more cup of water to adjust the consistency and allow it to cook.
- You will start enjoying the aroma of the rasam at this stage.
- Once they boil and the foam is formed, add the mashed toor dhal, cook for few min and switch off the stove.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.