Plantain/vazhakkai is one of the common vegetable that is used in almost all Kerala recipes – Mulagootal, moorukoottaan,mezhukkuperatti,aviyal, etc., Vaazhakkai Podimas is a simple South Indian style stir fry with Raw bananas. It should be made with unripened bananas else its taste will be spoiled. It is slighlt different from the vazhakkai varuval/mezhukkuperatti and everyone likes it.
(Plantain)Vaazhakkai – 1
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Salt – As required
Curry leaves – few
Coriander – few
Coconut grated – 3 tbsp / few
Ginger – a small piece
Green chilli – 1
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- First grind the coconut, curry leaves, ginger, green chilli, coriander and keep it aside.
- Cut the plantain into half and pressure cook it for two whistles. It should not be mushy. We can also open cook the plantain by boiling it in water.
- Now remove the skin of the plantain and grate it slowly.
- In a kadai add coconut oil and sputter mustard seeds. Then add urad dhal and fry them till they become golden brown.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture, turmeric powder, salt, saute them for less than a minute.
- Finally add the grated plantain. Mix it gently so that it ll not become mushy.
- Mix everything together and add 1 tsp coconut oil at the end to enhance the taste and the flavour.
- Its ready to serve.
Note: You can add 1/2 tsp lemon juice at the end.