Urulaikizhangu Podimas is one of the regular recipes made at home before my wedding. But after that I make this very rarely since we opt for Kaara Curry, the spicy version. This is basically mashed potatoes that are tempered and spiced with Green chillies. This can be made in a jiffy. A perfect comfort food for any day. It goes well with Sambar saadham, Rasam saadham and most of the other South Indian food.
Potatoes – 5
Coconut – 1/2
Green chilli – 2
Ginger – 1 tsp
Lemon – 1/2
Salt – To taste
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – `1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, cut it into half and pressure cook it.
- Remove the skin from the cooked potatoes and mash it well.
- Grate the coconut and keep it aside.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the urad dhal and channa dhal. Saute until they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped green chilles, salt, asafoetida, curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now transfer the mashed potatoes into kadai. Mix it well and add salt if necessary.
- Garnish it with grated coconut and mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Squeeze the lemon over it.
- Serve it as a side dish for Sambar rice, Rasam rice.