Thiruvaathirai is a hindu festival celebrated in Kerala and tamilnadu in the month of Dhanu or Margazhi( mid Dec- mid June). Aardhra dharisanam in Tamilnadu corresponds with thiruvaathirai in Kerala. Both are related to Lord Shiva. On this day we make a sweet with raw rice and jaggery.
Raw rice- 1 cup
Moong dhal – 2 tbsp
Jaggery – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Roast the raw rice to golden brown. Ground it to coarse powder.
- Heat the moong dhal in the pan and half- cook it.
- Heat the water in another vessel, add jaggery and stir it. When it dissolves completely, strain it to remove the dust.
- To this add moong dhal and let it blend with the jaggery extract.
- When the jaggery extract starts to boil, add the rice powder and mix it well without forming any lumps. Add grated coconut and stir well.
- Add enough ghee. the kali is ready.