Channa masala or Chole masala is one of the famous recipes made as a side dish for chappathi, puri and Batura. Bread Channa, Chole Batura are some of the famous combinations. My mom makes this recipe as a side dish for roti. I made some alteration with the addition of coconut. This is one of the recipes my husband asked me to make from the time we got married. Atlast I made this at home and he liked it a lot. Also I want to dedicate this recipe to our aunt who asked for this recipe when I mentioned about it in Poori..
Kabuli Channa – 1 cup
Onion – 2
Tomato – 4
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder/Channa masala powder – 2 tsp
Salt- To taste
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Coriander leaves – few
Bay leaf – 1
Cardamom – 2
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Coconut – 1/4
Roasted gram- 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Wash and soak the Kabuli Channa overnight or 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water from the channa and add fresh water to pressure cook it. Donot make it mushy.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Grind the coconut, roasted gram and fennel seeds. Keep it aside.
- Separately grind the tomatoes and make puree out of it.
- In a pan, add ghee and saute the bay leaf, cardamom and cloves.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste, saute until raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped onions, saute till transparent.
- Once the onions become transparent add the ground tomato puree and cook till the raw smell of the tomatoes disappear.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
- Now add the ground masala into the pan. Add some water and allow it to cook.
- When they start to boil, add the pressure coked channa, mix well and cook for two minutes.
- Turn off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- It goes well with Roti, batura and puri.