Saadham masaal is one of the tastiest recipes I have eaten so far. This cannot be considered either as a sambar or as a North Indian gravy. I got to know this recipe from my kannama perima. This is her MIL’s recipe. When perima came to my place she made this recipe and I loved it. Then I couldn’t resist myself eating it once. I bet this will be one of the best gravies to be eaten with rice. It goes well with Vadam/ Papad. This recipe was in my bucket list for a long time but somehow I was postponing. Three days back we lost our dear Kannamma perima. It was totally unexpected one. She played a big role in my life which I could not forget till my last breath. So as a token of love, respect and homage, I am posting this recipe as a dedication to her. Will definitely miss our dear perima and love you always perima.
Potato – 2
Shallots – 2 cups
Tomatoes – 2
Green chilli – 2
Tamarind – lemon size
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Jaggery – small piece
Salt – To taste
Gingelley oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Coconut – 1/2
Red chilli – 2
Shallots – few
Curry leaves – few
- Soak the shallots in water for 6 hours. Next day peel the skin and chop them.
- Pressure cook the potatoes, peel off the skin and chop them into big chunks.
- Boil the tamarind in water and extract tamarind juice.
- In a kadai, add a tsp of oil and saute the ingredients(coriander seeds, channa dhal, urad dhal, red chilli, a portion of shallots, coconut, curry leaves) for grinding. Saute until they turn golden brown in colour. Allow it to cool and grind it to a smooth paste with little quanity of water.
- In a kadai, add gingelly oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they splutter add green chillies and saute.
- Add the remaining shallots and saute until they become glassy.
- After the shallots become translucent, add the tomatoees.
- To this add extracted tamarind juice, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery.
- Then add the cooked potatoes, ground paste and allow to boil.
- Cook in medium flame for five more minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.