Maavilakku maavu is a recipe made with rice flour and jaggery and is offered to Goddess. The procedure for this poojai differs from family to family. But the procedure for making the recipe is the same. Hope this post will help all the beginners and newly weds.
Raw rice – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup
- Rinse the raw rice in water 2-3 times. Then add fresh water to the raw rice to soak them for atleast an hour.
- After an hour, drain the water and spread it in a clean white towel to get it dried.
- If you take the rice in your hand, you should feel damp in your palm or fingers. Grind the rice immediately before the rice get dry.This helps us to get more smooth rice flour without any lumps.
- Grind the rice in the mixer to a nice powder. Sieve it couple of time to get a smooth rice flour. If we get any lumps while we sieve, again add the lumps of rice flour to the mixer and grind it again to a smooth flour and again sieve it.
- We should repeat the above process again and again till we get a smooth and nice rice flour. Now our rice flour is ready.
- Take the rice flour in a mixer along with grated jaggery and cardamom.
- Grind the rice and jaggery to mix it well. Do not over grind it as the jaggery will start giving water and the whole mixture would become clumsy.
- Take the ground rice and jaggery powder in a plate and leave it aside for 10-15 minutes. The jaggery would give a nice wetness to the rice flour and you can easily make a soft dough.
- After 15 minutes, split the rice and jaggery mixture into two portions.
- Knead the rice and jaggery mixture to 2 balls. Then with our fingers or with any bottle cap, gently press the center of theball to make a dent.
- If you feel your rice and jaggery mixture is too dry to make balls or dent, then you can add little ghee and knead the mixture again.
- Decorate the maavilakku with turmeric and kumkum. Add Panju Thiri (Cotton Wick) to each of the shaped maavilakku.
- Then pour ghee in the dent made in maavilaku and wet the cotton wick with ghee and then lit the lamp.
- Now the Maavilakku mavu is ready for Pooja.