Aloo paneer matar is a North Indian gravy prepared with potato, cottage cheese and green peas. They are cooked in the tomato gravy along with the spices. This is the first recipe I made after my wedding so this is always special for me. It is very easy to make as well as tasty. You can serve this as a side dish not only for roti, kulcha, naan but also for jeera rice, ghee rice…
Potatoes – 2
Matar – 1 cup
Paneer cubes – 1 cup
Tomatoes – 4
Onions – 2
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder -1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Butter – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander – To garnish
Ginger – A piece
Green chilli – 2
Garlic – 7 cloves
Onion – 2 tbsp
Water – To grind
- Pressure cook the potatoes, peel the skin and cut them into big pieces.
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chilli into a fine paste with little water.
- Grind the tomatoes and make it into a purée.
- Heat the pan, add butter, cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the garlic, ginger,green chilli paste and sauté until the raw smell goes off.
- Then add the onions and sauté till they are translucent.
- Then add the tomato purée and simmer the stove until the tomato purée is cooked. Add little quantity of water.
- Add the green peas,potatoes, salt,chilli powder, garam masala and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and allow it to come to a boil.
- Mash 2 to 3 pieces of potatoes in the pan to thicken the gravy. Simmer till the gravy thickens.
- Finally add the paneer cubes, mix well and cook for two minutes.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve hot with rotis or jeera rice.
Note: You can add sugar to adjust the tangy taste of tomatoes.