Tamarind is a popular rice recipe of the south India. There are so many versions like Kovil puliodhare, karnataka style puliogare which includes coconut, Iyer style, Iyengar style etc., Here I am going to make Iyer style puliodhare. To make this, we will be making gojju or puliodhare paste and then will mix it with rice.
Tamarind- lemon size
Turmeric powder- A pinch
Salt- As required
Channa dhal- 2 tbsp
Fenugreekseeds- 1 tsp
Red chilli – 4
Mustard- 1 tsp
Channa dhal-1 tsp
Urad dhal-1 tsp
Red chilli – 2
Curry leaves- few
- Add some water to the tamarind and extract juice from it.
- In a kadai, add gingelly oil and crack mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal, urad dhal and saute till brown.
- Then add peanuts and saute till golden brown.
- Finally add curry leaves and tamarind juice.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Allow it to boil.
- Once they start to boil, add the ground items ans mix well
- without forming lumps.
- Cook in low flame for two minutes and turn off the stove.
- Mix it with rice and serve with chips or vadam.