Upma is the simplest and humble breakfast that can made in a jiffy. It is also an easy recipe for beginners. It can be made with sooji, vermicelli, samba sooji. The addition of onions to upma makes it too yummy. Roasting the rava is one of the important steps. When the rava is not roasted, the upma will be sticky and when it is over roasted, then the taste is spoiled.
Sooji -1 cup
Water – 2 1/2 cups
Onion- 1 finely chopped(optional)
Salt- To taste
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 2
- Measure and roast the sooji in the pan and keep it aside.
- Now add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal and urad dhal. When they turn brown, add green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Add water, salt and allow it to boil.
- When they start to boil, add sooji and mix without forming any lumps.
- Continusly stir so that they donot stick to the bottom.
- Add coconut oil now and then to add flavour and also to make upma soft.
Note: You can add onions if necessary. It makes upma more tasty.