Baby potatoes are the potatoes which are removed from the soil before they are fully grown. They can be cooked in many ways. In India, baby potatoes are used to make a very popular dish -Dhum Aloo. They are less in calories and fat free. With the skin, they are a good source of fibre and helps in maintaining weight. They also lack cholesterol and help in reducing the risks of heart disease. I coated them with the masala and cooked them in cashew gravy. So this is a rich recipe and people who are diet conscious please donot read further :P. But it can very well be consumed by persons who are thin and slim.
Baby potatoes – 20
Cashews – 15
Garam masala powder- 2 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Curd – 4 tbsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Salt – To taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash the baby potatoes well to remove the mud.
- Pressure cook the potatoes, peel off the skin and keep aside.
- Soak the cashews in milk for half an hour and grind it to a fine paste.
- In a pan add oil and the garam masala. Keep the stove in medium flame and saute until the raw smell goes off. If you are using the induction stove, saute it in 350 watts.
- Then add the cooked baby potatoes, mix well with the masala.
- At this stage you can also add coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Then close the lid and cook it in medium flame or 700 watts for 5-7 minutes.
- Then open the lid, add red chilli powder and mix well. Red chilli powder should not be added before since it will turn black.
- Now add the water, curd and the ground cashew paste.
- Mix well and close the lid. Cook in high flame or 900 watts for five minutes and then in medium flame or 700 watts until the gravy thickens.
- Cook until the gravy thickens and the oil separates on the sides of the pan.
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve with Roti/Chappathi.