Kasi Halwa / Poosinikai Halwa is one of the easiest halwa made with white pumpkin, sugar and ghee as main ingredients. I have tasted this halwa in almost all the Brahmin weddings, including mine. Whenever I have this halwa, I ll fall in love with it. This time I had white pumpkin at home and tried this recipe. Also my dream to upload videos for my recipes came true now. When I posted in my facebook page and other pages, I got a good response from the readers. It encouraged me and I was over the moon. Though it takes double the time for me to cook, using different softwares to edit, merge and adding captions is challenging and interesting. Hope I will have patience to do it hereafter.
White pumpkin – 1 cup(grated)
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Food colour – A pinch(mixed with water)
Ghee – 1 tsp
Cashews – few
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Wash and grate the pumpkin. Squeeze the water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add ghee and saute cashews till golden brown.
- Now add the grated pumpkin, add the squeezed water and saute until it is cooked.
- Add cardamom powder and food colour. Mixwell. You can feel the aroma of the cooked pumpkin.
- At this stage, add sugar. Mix well. Now the water will start oozing out from the halwa.
- Simmer the stove and saute until the water evaporates.
- Now the halwa thickens and it ll start leaving from the sides. Turn off the stove.
- Transfer it to a container and serve hot.