The idea of making puffed rice balls came from the aval pori and nel pori that we make for thirukarthigai. We buy muttai pori(puffed rice) regulary at home and kaara pori is the most commonly made snack in the evening. I remember an aunty making muttai pori urundai and she packs it for her son’s snack. Then popped up the idea of making this. I made it as balls as well as pieces.
Puffed rice – 4 cups
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Weigh the jaggery and disslove it in water.
- Once the jaggery is dissolved, strain it to remove the dirt.
- Now add the strained jaggery syrup in kadai or another vessel.
- Stir it continuously until you get the ball like consistency.
- When you drop a tsp of jaggery syrup in a cup of water, it should not dissolve. You should be able to make ball out of it.
- At this stage add the puffed rice and mix well.
- Turn off the stove and either make balls or cut pieces.
- To make pieces, spread the puffed rice on a greased plate and cut it with the knife.
- Make balls when the puffed rice mixture is hot. Else it will crumble.
- If you are not able to make balls, then lightly heat it and make the balls.