Thogayal are similar preparations to chutney with a pasty consistency. My mom and grandmom makes ulundhu thogayal and Paruppu thogayal regularly at home. It goes best with Sambar and curd rice. Also it can be mixed with plain rice along with the ghee. I came to know about coconut/ thengai thogayal through one of my friends. She is experiencing second pregnancy with morning sickness. But this is the one recipe which she loved to eat. Whenever her mom asked her as what to make something special for her to eat, she asks for this. I learnt this from her and made this at home. I mixed it with hot steaming plain rice and topped it with a teaspoon of ghee. It was heavenly.
Coconut – 1/2
Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
Red chilli – 4 or 5
Tamarind – half lemon size
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
- Shred the coconut and keep aside.
- Add a tbsp of oil in a kadai and fry the coconut, urad dhal and red chilli. Saute until they turn light brown.
- Allow the ingredients to cool for a while.
- Grind everything together with salt, jaggery, asafoetida and tamarind.
- Again add oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds. Add the ground thogayal and saute till the oil separates.
- Serve it with curd rice or mix it with plain rice topped with ghee.