Pineapple rasam is a special variety of rasam with distinct flavour and taste. Here in my place, I get a lot of pineapples at Rs 10 per fruit during the season. So I wanted to try something new with the pineapple. I remember having Pineapple rasam in many weddings. And I tried the same and it was yummy. My FIL became a great fan of this recipe. He told me that he hasn’t tasted this before and it is delicious. I too love this rasam.
Pineapple – 3 rings+ 1 ring
Rasam podi – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Pepper powder – A pinch
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Toor dhal – 2 tbsp cooked(Optional)
Asafoetida – A pinch
Salt – As needed
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilli – 2
- Pressure cook dhal and keep aside.
- Grind 3 rings of the pineapple and chop 1 ring as cubes. Chop the tomato.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add jeera, red chilli , curry leaves and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, add little quantity of water and cook for sometime.
- Now add the ground pineapple, add water and allow it to cook.
- At this point, you can add salt, turmeric powder, rasam powder, jeera powder, pepper powder and allow to boil.
- Add the mashed toor dhal and cook in low flame. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Finally add chopped pineapple cubes, asafoetida and garnish with chopped coriander.