Coconut Chutey / thengai Chutney is a an easy and common side dish made for idli and dosai in South Indian households. Though this is a very simple and easy one, I would like to post this for the beginners. Coconut chutney is my all time favourite. I always like to have this as a side dish for idli, pongal and sometimes for dosai too. But after my wedding this became a very rare recipe as my husband doesnt like it. So whenever I go to my place, I ask my mom to make this for idli and pongal. Hereafter I will make this simple recipe a regular menu in my kitchen .
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Fried Gram dhal(Pottukadalai) – 2 tbsp
Green Chilli – 2
Salt -To taste
Water – As required
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Grind together Coconut, fried gram dhal, green chilli, salt with little water.
- Add water if necessary.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack add urad dhal and curry leaves. When they turn golden brown add this to the ground chutney.
- You can add ginger and omit fried gram.
- Add a sprig of coriander and curry leaves which gives a nice aroma.
- Add roasted channa dhal in the place of fried gram.
- You can also peanuts instead of fried gram.
Please follow and like us: