Brinjal is my all time favourite vegetable. I love to eat it in any form. Brinjal thogayal is a good substitute for the regular tomato chutney or coconut chutney. It goes well with Idli, dosai and best with plain rice drizzling ghee into it. Normally people cook the brinjals in direct flame and call it as sutta kathirikkai thogayal. But I just sauted it in oil in order to avoid the smoky flavour.
Brinjals – $ Nos
Tamarind – small piece
Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
Red chillies – 4
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
Oil – To cook
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – Few
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the brinjal well. Let it gets cooked. Sprinkle water and close the lid for 3 minutes.
- Now add th e urad dhal, tamarind, red chillies and saute everything until they turn golden brown.
- Allow it to cool.
- In a mixer, grind every thing together.
- In the same pan add oil, temper mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the urad dhal, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute till the dhal turns golden brown.
- Add the ground brinjal mixture and saute till the oil separates.
- Serve it with idli, dosai or mix it with rice and eat.