Kambu Semiya is one of the healthy breakfast recipes. Kambu is known as pearl millet in english. People have started to forget about our traditional, old ingredients like ragi, kambu, cholam. They are highly nutritious and are very cheap to get. Infact they are called as poor man’s crops in Economics. Nowadays the doctors are also advising to increase the intake of these items. Here, I have given you a recipe for kambu semiya. The cooking method differs from our normal semiya.
Kambu Semiya– 2 cups
Water – 2 cups
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Coriander leaves – few
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 2
Salt – As required
- Measure and roast the Kambu Semiya in the pan and keep it aside.
- Take water, add salt and soak the kambu semiya in water for 3 minutes. Drain the water completely.
- Steam cook the soaked kambu semiya in idli steamer or pressure cooker for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and spread the steam cooked kambu semiya on a plate.Add cold water to it and drain the water immediately. This will prevent the sticking of semiya one to one.
- Now add oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal and urad dhal. When they turn brown, add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the finely chopped onion and saute until they turn golden brown. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook it for 5-10 minutes with very little water.
- At this stage add the cooked semiya and mix it well with other ingredients.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
Note: You can add other vegetables if necessary. It makes upma more tasty.