Paal payasam is an exotic dessert made with rice, milk and sugar. It is made on the festival days and offered to God. Paal payasam should not be too thick. Else it will land up in paal sadham(milk rice) instead of paal payasam. This is one of the common errors that many make. You have to be patient while making this payasam. At the same time it is also an easy recipe. Follow the below method step by step to make an authentic paal payasam.
Milk – 1 litre
Rice – 1 small ladle
Sugar – 11/2 small ladle
Elaichi powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Boil the milk. Simmer the stove or keep in 100 watts if you are going to make it in Induction stove.
- Now add the rice, ghee and elaichi powder. Donot add the sugar at this stage.
- Stir it now and then. The milk thickens and the rice also be cooked now.
- As the milk thickens, the cream will be formed on the sides and top of the milk. Wit the help of the ladle, mix it with the milk.
- At one stage the colour of the payasam will turn from white to pinkish colour. At this stage, add the sugar and cook for five more minutes.
- Serve hot or chill it and serve. You can also add cashews and raisins after frying it in the ghee.