Vegetable Korma is one of my favourite gravy. I tasted it for the first time when I was a kid. Yes!! My mom made this at home. It is different from Navarathna Korma. She used to ground coconut along with other spices. It was spicy and too good to eat with Chappathi. After that I got a chance to eat it after I got married. I made this at home and it is one of the recipes made frequently at home. Though we discuss about korma, there is difference between Vegetable Korma and Navarathna Korma. I learnt this only later. I have tried both the versions and each has its own unique taste. Navarathna Korma is a delicious and a very popular Mughalai dish. Navarathna means nine gems. As nine different ingredients which includes fruits, vegetables, nuts and paneer are used to prepare this korma, it gets the name Navarathna korma. It is less spicy and has a slightly sweet taste because of the fruits and nuts used.
Paneer – 100gms
Carrot – 1
Beans – 9
Potato – 1 (Big)
Cauliflower – 11 florets
Green peas – 25 gms
Tomato – 4 (Big)
Onion – 2
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 11/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Garam masala powder – 11/2 tsp
Fresh Cream – 2 tbsp
Milk – 1 cup
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Pineapple, Apple, Raisins, Cashews, Tutti-Frutti- 1/2 cup
- Cut the paneer into cubes, fry in the oil and place it in hot water.
- Chop the onion into small cubes. Cut the tomatoes, make puree and strain it.
- Chop carrot, potato, beans into small cubes. Pressure cook it with peas.
- Separate the cauliflower florets and allow it to boil in water with salt and turmeric powder. drain the water and keep the florets aside.
- In a pan, add ghee and saute ginger garlic paste. Then add the chopped onions and saute till golden brown.
- When the ghee or oil separates, add tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, garam masala powder. Allow it to cook for sometime.
- Add the cooked vegetables and cook it for some more time.
- After few minutes add milk, fresh cream, paneer, pineapple/apple, raisins. Fry the cashews and add.
- Garnish it with coriander.
- The navarathna korma goes well with chappathi, roti, phulka etc.,