Semiya kesari is one recipe which I want to make for a long time. For the first time I saw the photo of this recipe when my husband’s athai(Aunty) made this. From that time I am waiting to taste this sweet. Finally I made this sweet when my blog got 3000 plus followers. Thank you Vasantha Athai for introducing me to this recipe.
Semolina – 1 cup
Sugar- 3/4 to 1 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cups
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashews – few
Raisins – few
Cardomom powder – A pinch
Food colour – A pinch
- Measure and roast the Semolina in the pan and keep it aside.
- Measure the required quantity of water and allow it to boil. Once they start to boil, turn off the stove, add the food colour, cardomom powder, roasted semolina and close the lid for ten minutes.
- When you open the lid you can see the semolina cooked. Drain the excess water.
- In a pan, add ghee and fry the cashews. When they start to turn golden brown add the raisins. They start bulging.
- At this stage add the sugar and mix well.
- Now the semiya would have cooked. Add the semiya into the pan.
- Since we have added the sugar, it will become watery. But continuous stirring with thicken the consistency of the kesari.
- When the ghee separates, turn off the stove.
- Serve hot or cold.
Note: Roast the semiya well. If you have bought roasted semiya you can skip that step.
Cook the vermicelli properly. Else it will become hard when blend with the sugar.