Vadam is similar to papad and is made with rice or lentils or potato or sago. Vadam is served as an accompaniment for Sambar rice or Rasam. Elai vadam is one of the favourite for me and my brother, that amma and paati make in our house. Since this was not available in shops it had a great demand when it is made at home. Though we get in shops nowadays, it is not as tasty as we prepare at home. In our childhood days, Amma and Paati will do the steaming work and my younger brother will help them in peeling off the vadams from the plate. Interesting part is you can eat the steam cooked vadam and it is very tasty. So my job is to eat the steam cooked vadams. There starts the fight between me and my brother. He scolds me for simply eating it without doing any work. Ooooh!!!! this is the first time I made this alone. I missed my family members especially my brother a lottttttttt!!!!!!! Making elai vadam is a big process and needs us to act quickly with each step. To make these vadams we need a stand which is available in parts of Tamilnadu as well as Kerala. My parents gifted me this stand when I got married. It has a stand with 12 plates.
Raw rice -2 cups
Boiled rice -1 cup
Salt – As required
Green chillies – 2
Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak raw rice and boiled rice in water for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Next day drain the water and grind it with salt and green chillies by sprinkling the water to make it grind easily.
- Keep it in the refrigerator to ferment.
- Next day add gingelley oil and sesame seeds to the batter and mix well.
- Add water to make it to the right consistency. It should not be too thick nor too watery.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add water and allow it to boil(Add water as you add in the pressure cooker). You can also use pressure cooker or Idli cooker for this purpose.
- When you keep the steam ready, you can cook the vadams very quickly.
- Mix water and 1 tsp oil in a small cup. This is to grease the elai vadam plates.
- Dip a small cloth in water+oil mixture and grease the plates.
- Now take one small ladle of batter and spread it in all the plates evenly.
- Arrange these plates in Elai vadam stand carefully so and keep it in the boiling water and steam cook for three minutes.
- After three minutes, take the stand out of the boiling water and remove the plates.
You can eat these peeled off vadams as a snack. It will be verytasty and interesting to eat these steam cooked vadams.
- Carefully peel off the vadam from each plate and spread it in a polythene cover and keep it in the sun.
- If the vadams are not cooked properly, it will stick to the plates.
- Repeat this until the battle gets over.
- You need to keep the vadams in the sun for three days. If not you can dry this vadams with the help of ceiling fan.
- Once dried, you can store it in a container.
- Fry it in the oil when needed and serve it with hot Sambar sadham, rasam sadham or as an evening snack.