Mint rice is a simple, flavourful rice that can be easily cooked even by bachelors. Mint is very healthy and my amma makes thogayal or chutney out of it. This rice goes well with raitha.
Rice – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
Mint leaves – A bunch
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cardomom – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Mace – small piece
Marathi moggu – 1
Star anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1
Cloves – 3
Salt – As required
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee and melt it.
- Add Cumin seeds, Fennel seeds, Cardomom, Bay leaf, Mace, Star anise, Cinnamon, Cloves and saute until you feel their aroma.
- Chop the mint into small bits.
- Grind the mint with the above spices.
- Meanwhile soak the rice in water for ten minutes. Wash and drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker add some ghee, cumin seeds and the ground paste. Saute them for a minute.
- Add the rice to pressure cooker and saute until light brown.
- Now add water and mix with other ingredients.
- Finally add salt and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook it.
- You can feel the aroma of mint rice all over your kitchen once the first whisle comes.
- Serve it with raitha.