Aval pori and Nel pori are the two main recipes that we make for Karthigai Deepam. Though I eat this every year, this is the first time I made on my own. And I found that this is one of the easiest recipes. Some make balls out of it.
Aval pori – 3 glasses
Jaggery – 3/4 glass
Finely chopped coconut pieces – 2 tbsp
Chukku powder(Dried ginger powder) – 1 tsp or Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Water – 1 glass
- Dissolve the jaggery in water and strain it into another vessel.
- Boil the jaggery with coconut pieces, dried ginger powder and ghee until you get a soft ball consistency.
- When you drop a tsp of jaggery syrup in a cup of water, it should not dissolve. You should be able to make ball out of it.
- It is the right stage to remove the jaggery out of the flame.
- Now add the nel pori into the jaggery syrup and mix well.