Paruppu vadai / Masal vadai is a favourite snack for me and my bro. My mom makes crispy and hot vadai during rainy days. The whole family will sit together and enjoy this with hot cup of tea. It is one of the item in almost all festive days. Mup paruppu vadai, as the name indicates consists of three main dhals – Channa dhal, Urad dhal and toor dhal. If we are going to make the vadai and offer it to God, it is always best to use all the three dhals. My amma says this phrase “Neiveydhyathukku mupparuppu vadai romba visesham” which means mupparuppu vadai is very good to offer it to the God.
Channa dhal/Vadai paruppui- between 1/2 and 3/4 cup
Toor dhal – Less than 1/4 cup
Urad dhal – 2 tsp
Shredded Coconut – 1/4 cup
Curry leaves – few
Cilantro – few
Red chillies –4
Green chillies – 2
Asafoetida – A pinch
Salt – As per taste
- Soak all the three dhals in water for 6-8 hours(overnight).
- Next day drain the water completely and keep 2 tbsp channa dhal aside.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Now grind the cilantro, curry leaves, red chillies, green chillies, salt and 2 tbsp channa dhal.
- First grind the channa dhal separately and then with the above mixture.
- This makes the ingredients to mix evenly.
- Donot grind the dhal into a fine paste. To make the vadai crispy, grind it coarsely.
- Add asafoetida and mix it with hands. Heat oil in the pan.
- Now make small balls of the mixture. So that it will be easy for you to make vadai once the oil gets heated.
- Drop a small bit of the mixture to check the heatness of the oil.
- Now take the small balls you have made and flatten it in your hands and gently slip it into the oil.
- Deep fry until it is golden brown.